Sunday, September 16, 2007

Day 4 - Budapest... Gélert hill, Buda Hill, Margaret Island, Gélert Hill again and party hardy!

Friday September 14, 2007

Woke up after noon, really needed the rest after the crazy 23 hour day (almost 24 hour) before. Steinunn and I went out for breakfast/lunch/coffee time at this resteraunt that the law students usually hang out in...pretty good 2 course meal. Next we walked our way to Gélert hill, where there was a statue of Gélert. We really didn't have a plan for the day, just decided to start walking and see what was interesting on the way. When we saw a statue a small part of the way up the hill I really wanted to walk up to it and finally convinced Steinunn. After a hard hike getting up there we really couldn't see the statue any better but we could see that you could climb higher up the hill and we decided to check it out. We walked, and walked and finally saw that there was something to see at the top (almost didn't continue). When we got up to the top we saw this cool castle and an amazing view of all of Budapest. Soaked up the view and had some water. There you could also go into a museum inside the castle area, some sort of bunker from 2nd world war. Wasn't really interested in the museum, just wanted to see the view of Budapest from a little higher up (the castle walls). But man was I wrong, what a cool museum. Looking through the museum we saw flags, pins, medallions, marks, pictures, both kind of cool and then very very disturbing. If you go there and don't want to feel very sad and kind of sick to your stomach, then don't go to the bottom floor (devoted to kids that were the victim of the war in Budapest) and don't go to the room devoted to Jews. But even though my stomach was queesy I must say that I'm really glad I went to see it, a truly interesting museum that gets you to see what war is all about. Like I said to Steinunn: "Reminds you that there is nothing cool about war at all!" Also you can see why Buda has newer buildings than Pest, since Buda was bombed more in the war. The view on the top of the castle wall was also really amazing. And let's not forget the statue's at the top were cool too.

Next we went toward the Buda Castle, walking, and took some sort of tram up the hill....didn't walk this time. When we got up there and had looked a little around (Awesome view) we just sat down and enjoyed the sunset! ;)
The Castle Hill with Buda Castle is amazing, with the castle itself not as beautiful as I thought it would be and the Matthias Church under renovation. But the view made up for these 2 facts, as well as amazing statues and sculptures! ;) Also saw some busses coming up towards what looked like a main building, looked like a state visit of some sorts.

Next it was definitely time to fill our stomachs and we said that Margaret Island should of course be filled with restaurants...but I guess we were wrong. After walking there, partly taking the trolley, and of course having to look at the awful Select....no no no not the Select!!!! (Hehehe...private humor between me and Steinunn I guess)... we finally got to Margaret Island. It‘s a wonderful Island found between Buda and Pest on the river Danube and only reachable from the middle of 2 of the many bridges that connect Buda and Pest. But like I said, there should be a lot of restaurants there, but there aren‘t. So we walked around and saw beautiful water fountains, wonderful trees and Steinunn saw someone moving in every shadowy place around us! ;) I thought it was really beautiful and a shame that the only real restaurant that we saw had a waiter that closed the restaurant on us because there were so few people there. Anyway…we finally went to a grill place and got a really nice chicken and lamb course which we were both very happy with.

Next on line was of course meeting up with the other Erasmus students and surprise surprise…they chose this night to climb the Gélert hill ;) Hehehehe! So we got ourselves back to the bottom of the Gélert hill, and had to walk past the terribly awful Select, and for the second time that day walked up it :D When we got up to the top the Erasmus gang was still recovering from the walk up. I soaked up the amazing view again, this time in the dark. I recommend that if you are going to Budapest sometime that you go up to the Gélert hill both during the daytime and when it’s dark out, totally different view each time :D But then it was time to meet the gang, new people tonight. The Finnish gang was really great, Srika from the night before and now new Oli and Joanna. All the Spanish girls were great and great new German people as well. And I finally met Karolina that Steinunn had talked so much about. We had loads of laughs up there and since they were drinking and having beers I said that all that was missing for it to feel like we were 15-16 was to have a backpack for the alcohol and that’s when they showed me the backpack. I had to have a picture of me age 16 so I put on the backpack and held the beer and I’ll upload the picture on Facebook as soon as I can ;)

The walk down and to the pub was great fun. I was doing Pablo Fransisco, singing, we were telling jokes, the really fun German guy sent an SOS party message in a bottle into the river Danube, jumping, running, dancing, going the wrong way, screaming, picture taking and just general having fun ;)

When we got to the pub or party place if you will, then the next thing on the agenda was dancing like our lives depended on it….and we did. Dancing with all these people was so much fun and the top of the dancing itself must be dancing with one of the Spanish girls. I kept having to go to the bathroom to wipe off sweat from my “hot” body ;) At one point I left the party to get myself something to eat, had to keep up my program of eating (part of being in OA), and on the way there were 2 women sitting on a bench. It was the first time a hooker actually asked me if I wanted her services, but the way she did it was a way that made this moment unforgettable. She said: “You want a sexy time?” and the movie Borat just came screaming into my mind. When I said no she said: “It’s a very nice” and she even had the same accent as Borat and I just had to bite my lip not to start laughing. Ahhhh…good times, good times ;) Anyway when I got back I kept dancing and dancing and dancing and when me and Steinunn finally decided to go home and rest our weary bodies, my T-Shirt was SOAKING wet. Fortunetly I had met another great person at the bar, Stefan from Holland, and he loaned me his sweater/jacket…and Steinunn promised to wash it for him and return it :D

When we got home I had one meal left and I picked out Steinunn’s lap top and visited with some good old friends of mine….Friends :D A nostalgic end to yet another amazing day ;)

No comments: