Sunday, September 23, 2007

Day 10, Athens & Hydra – Motorcycling through real traffic, speed boat, Norwegian girls, Walkabout, Fire lessons, Sunbathing, swimming in the ocean...

...“boatseeing” on the way back, taxisleep, Italian food, Malakkas, Ti, Poss, Potte…PU?????

Thursday September 20, 2007

Yiannis picked me up 8.50 and we drove through the traffic again on his motorcycle. This time the traffic was REALLY heavy and kind of crazy to see him manoeuvre in it…but loads of fun :D We made it to the harbour area from Glifada and there he helped me buy a ticket and on the Flying Dolphin X I went. I was going to a Greek Island and I didn’t really even know which one since I asked them, Yiannis and Fani, to pick one out for me. They had said something about “eethra” (that’s how they pronounced it) and then I saw the ticket: I was going to Hydra….like the mythical many headed dragon and all of the sudden I got even more excited for the trip.

On the boat I met some great Norwegian girls. Sat next to Kamilla, she’s getting her doctorate in biochemistry if I remember correctly. Kind of funny to see 4 beautiful Norwegian girls, out to sunny country partying, and then finding out that they all have masters degrees in advanced science courses…doesn’t fit in that picture…that’s what made it soooo great :D Had fun talking with them and wish them the best of luck and Kamilla keep travelling while you still have no children ;)

When I got to the Island my breath was taken away. The harbour area is magnificent, with lovely architecture. What is most amazing about the harbour area and the whole Island as a matter of fact, is that there are no motorized vehicles of any kind allowed (no cars, motorbikes or anything like that) and they must have included all cranes in that. I walked around the main town, went up to the hills and witnessed the beautiful architecture up close and personal. The narrow alleys and walkways were so charming and the winding stairways were priceless…I could have spent a day just walking around this little town and taking a moment every now and then to just soak it all up. I’m really glad that the BIG dog at the top of the hill had a chain around his neck…otherwise I would be missing a big chunk of my leg. The little dog on the other hand had no chain and I’m just really glad that I have a way with dogs ;)

Met a New Zealander, travelling with his Aussie wife, who works in Greece putting out forest fires. This year there were very many forest fires and there was so much for them to do, I’m glad I donated to the forest fire survivor fund. He said that most people got killed since they panicked. I asked him how and he said that if there is a forest fire close to you, don’t leave your house. By the time your house catches fire the fire will have passed your house. Just fill your bath tub and go in it and put wet towels under the door and cover your senses. The people that panicked fled in their cars. The engine stopped working because of the heat from the fire and then they got roasted in the car… I told him, on a lighter note, that I would always know how to react thanks to meeting him here. If I were ever asked why I knew this, in a middle of a forest fire, I would respond: “Don’t you get it man…I’ve been to a Greek Island!”

Next was lunch, Tzatziki and Greek Salad ;) with a view of the surrounding Islands that was a big competition to the view of yesterday.

Then I walked to the west side of the Island, then the east. At the next east town there was a lovely beach by the hotel there. Lay down and bathed my body in the sunlight available there ;) The music at the bar was really really good so I recommend this place if you get there :D

Then it was time for the ocean and the main town had a cool place to jump in so I went back there. Didn’t know anyone there to keep my stuff so I looked around for the next person on the rock beach that I thought I could trust and walked up and introduced myself. Ended up being other Norwegian girls and they were more then happy keeping my stuff while I swam in the ocean…which I did. Getting to know them I found out that they were all around 40, but they looked around my age…27-28. Guess vacationing a lot in Greece is really good for youth so after this experience I recommend it. Telling them how old I thought they were really went down well with them…as I left they told me that I made their day.

Boat left at 5.30 pm and it was a speed boat with like skis on the bottom of the boat. I stayed in the back of the boat for the whole hour and a half, standing since the sea got the seats wet almost in the beginning (and kept doing that for the remainder of the trip), and enjoyed the awesome view. I met an Irish man there, Gabriel, who was really great to talk to. He told me that the 2 greatest places he had been were the Rockies (especially in Canada) and then Afrika and told me that I definitely had get to the places he recommended there. Also told me about a train that goes through the whole Rocky range, starting from Denver I think and ending up somewhere in Canada, that has the most amazing views he’d ever seen. Good times ;) I just kept enjoying the views there of the wonderful Islands of Greece.

Got back to the docks of Athens, got into a Taxi, and slept my way to Fani’s place….tired ;) We had some fun when I got home and joked around, especially after Elena came. Booked my ticket for Hamburg for the following day…decided to go meet Carmen as planned. Then we met Yiannis at 22.30 for dinner at an Italian place. The whole evening was just a roll of laughs and I don’t know how many people fled the area because of our super happiness ;) but there were probably a few. The owner was a friend of them all and sat with us for a part of the time and he was a good guy too. I’ve been saying a lot: “Who? What? When? How?” and a lot of them over and over again. So they taught me the Greek saying for it and it became the joke of the night: Ti = What, Poss = How, Potte = When, Pu = Where, Yeti = Why. “Ti, Poss…Potte????” ;)

It was really hard to say goodbye to these wonderful people…but I know it won’t be for good. I’ll meet them again and they’ll contact me when they know where they are going for their next vacation and I’ll most likely go there and visit them :D For now…I’ll go to dreamland…I know I won’t be alone there ;)

No comments: