Sunday, September 23, 2007

Day 11, Athens, Munich, Hamburg – Taxi ride ala old, Last meal of Greece, long walk to gate 37, Germans in Iceland, Einstein, The river Elbe...

...a change of plans, getting acquainted!

Friday September 21, 2007

Woke up and got a taxi to the airport, decided to do that and with it “buy” me some more sleep. Had a great ride out there with the taxi driver. He actually managed to make me feel really old. I looked at him and thought that he was much older then me. Turned out that it was 2 years and that he had a 3 year old son. Then he said that I looked 33 or 34 to him and the funny thing that even though it made me feel old…I took it as a complement???

My last meal at the airport was of course….yes you guessed it…Tzatziki and Greek Salad. Gotta love it. Enjoyed it a lot and took my time since I was right next to the gate….or so I thought. If you are ever at Athens international airport and have to go to gate 30-39 and are at the sign that says those numbers….you are FAR away from your gates. I almost started running when the corridor was so long that I couldn’t see the end of it. But somehow I got there in time….even thought I thought I wouldn’t. Now a thought here. I’ve been through loads of check ins, after today 6 in 12 days, and I never have any luggage I check so I always have all my luggage on me. So now with the new security measurements I cannot have more then 10x 100ml (or smaller) bottles (or equivalent) of fluid. But I’ve never showed it to them, except on the first flight, and they haven’t commented on the 7 fluid bottles I have to carry in a reseal able see-through plastic bag…hehehe :D Love security, could have been smuggling between countries for a while now…they’re lucky I’m in an honesty program ;)

On the plain to Munich I met a great guy. He’s from Berlin and he and his son have been all around Iceland. We talked a lot and he gave me his number and his sons number and hoped that we’d meet up in Berlin when me and Carmen go there for the National Day of Germany, October 3rd. He told me to come the day before since all the major parties are then. His son is a musician and he said that he could show me the music scene in Berlin…looking forward to go there.

When I got to Hamburg the German experience really started. It was really great to meet Carmen finally, after only having been in email conversations for what 8-10 months now through work. She works at a travel agency in Germany and I of course have been working at Hotel Hellnar where her company books a lot. I met her once last year when she came to the Hotel but I had forgotten what she looks like. Fortunately there are a lot of pictures of me on the internet and she had seen em and we found each other. We went to her small, old, German car and I loved it…it so increased the whole experience. We started talking and talked all through the night. We ended up going to the restaurant Einstein for some great vegetarian cooking.

After that, on the way home, we had to stop by the river Elbe as the moonlight was playing with the river and the ships were going past with the pretty lights. Walked a bit around but mostly just sat on the bench and soaked up the atmosphere :D

All through the night our plans for the next 2 weeks started changing. We had planned to stay in and around Hamburg but it soon became apparent that this would not be the plan. We ended up deciding to stay a few days here in Hamburg, seeing the sites and then renting a car. We’re going to see loads of places in Germany, Belgium, Luxemborg, Austria and most likely we’ll enter into more countries, ending up in Berlin for the National Day. Good times ;) We kept on talking and talking and got better and better acquainted. I’m really glad I came here and I’m sure we’re gonna have loads of fun on the trip….the trip that has now been turned into a ROAD TRIP :D

No comments: